Friday, April 22, 2005

S&P 500 - Standard and Poor's 500 Index

S&P 500


An index consisting of 500 stocks chosen for market size, liquidity and industry group representation, among other factors. The S&P 500 is designed to be a leading indicator of U.S. equities, and it is meant to reflect the risk/return characteristics of the large-cap universe. Companies included in the index are selected by the S&P Index Committee, which is a team of analysts and economists at Standard and Poor's. The S&P 500 is a market-value weighted index, which means each stock's weight in the index is proportionate to its market value.

The S&P 500 is one of the most commonly used benchmarks for the overall U.S. stock market. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) was at one time the most renowned index for American stocks, but because the DJIA contains only 30 companies, most agree that the S&P 500 is a better representation of the U.S. market. In fact, to many it is the definition of the market. When you hear on the evening news that "the market was up today", the reporter is likely referring to a rise in the S&P 500. Technically, it's nearly impossible to buy the index - you'd have to buy 500 different stocks. However, it's extremely easy to financial products based on the index, such as index funds and ETFs.


googled
--g//

8 comments:

Steve Austin said...

Nice blog. Please check out my online debt consolidation blog. It is all about online debt consolidation.

Billy said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a ohio debt consolidation
site/blog. It pretty much covers ohio debt consolidation
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

see your web page said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site, it deals with stuff like, click here: manually click and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my way...

Later, Scott ;-)

unique god - given abilities said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site, it deals with stuff like, click here: desire and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my way...

Later, Scott ;-)

homebusines said...

NOW, here it is... FREE advertising, No cost to you!!!
Make Money and get FREE advertising! What a great program for the HOLIDAYS... Check this out NOW for FREE!!!

This opportunity says:

"Your Ad" Will Instantly Be Displayed on Thousands of Websites and Read By over 10 Million People Per Week For FREE, and It Only Takes 60 Seconds to Get Started!


To find out more visit: mlm site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and mlm related stuff.Don't
forget, FREE, FREE, FREE. You have nothing to loose!!!

make money while you sleep said...

Ho, Ho, Ho, The HOLIDAYS are here and it is that time of year to really appreciate the people you love and the friends who are there for you when you are in need. May your life be truly blessed and may you live long and prosper. Best wishes- from me to you, Happy HOLIDAYS...

you have a great blog here! You really are very talented and deserve an honest compliment, congradulations! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a sign up for free site/blog. It pretty much covers sign up for free related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott :-)

future business partner said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! You really are very talented and deserve an honest compliment, congradulations! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a mlm site/blog. It pretty much covers mlm related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott :-)

corporate trainer said...

I liked your information in this post. Too bad it doesn't have more on meyers briggs. I was looking for meyers briggs in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks ganesh v. Come to Las Vegas sometime. Fun town.