Thursday, September 17, 2009

Installing Acrobat Reader on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) AMD 64bit

I finally decided to install acroread on my Ubuntu machine (since I had to read edits done using it!). Here is a record log.

1. Check your OS version by lsb_release -a, uname -a, gcc -v,...

2. Get the Acrobat Reader version for your OS from:
http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

I use Ubuntu 9.04 on AMD 64-bit. But, since Adobe doesn't have a 64bit installer, I downloaded the Linux - x86 (.deb): AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i386linux_enu.deb

3. Force install the 32bit package by:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i386linux_enu.deb

Done. acroread should now be ready.

Finally, a shout-out: don't do it! Go Open! Use evince, or xpdf, or ghostview to read PDFs. Try PDFedit or Kword to edit them.

1 comment:

Venkataraman said...

Well, what made you get Adobe?

Any thoughts on the best flash player for linux? Some sites don't seem to support anything other than Adobe.